- write the book
- edit it
- submit it to an agent
- get rejected
- submit to another agent
- get rejected
- revise the book
- repeat 'submit to an agent
- Either give up or self publish or, if you are one of the lucky few, negotiate a contract
- Agent submits to a publisher.... and so on
- DNA to indicate this was about medical science
- A semi-transparent mechanical bug to show that technology was involved
- A castle to represent the location Langston Castle in the book and to show there was a bit of history involved
- An old mine tunnel to represent the secret underground base
Book 3 - No Secrets
No Secrets was very much a continuation of Dark Secrets so we decided to use the same layout. Obviously we couldn't use the same image on the front so chose a Celtic knot instead, symbolizing eternity. Of all the covers it's the one we are least happy with and it may change.
Book 4 - Stones, Stars and Solutions
In this book the Triplets travel the world visiting pyramids and other locations while following clues left in an ancient document. One of the locations is Death Valley, another is the Mayan pyramid at Chichen Itza, Mexico. We started with a black and white picture of Death Valley which we colored dark blue. To that we added the pyramid viewed through a 'window' on the front cover and framed in vegetation from the jungle in Mexico. On the back we added our idea of the power mechanism revealed at the end of the book.
Book 5 - Leap of Faith
In this book there's a location Spirit Canyon in Arkansas. It was one of the places mentioned in Stones, Stars and Solutions and also appeared in No Secrets. Spirit Canyon features a stone cabin which you can only get to through a cave and a waterfall. We wanted to show this place on the cover. The problem is that though we know it's location, the actual place doesn't exist so we had to make it with bits and pieces of other pictures.
For a book cover you need high resolution pictures because the file you send to a printer is 5,700 by 3,900 pixels in size although the image I need is 3,510 by 2470 pixels. I start with a template document from the printer. It's actual size depends on the size and thickness of the book. If you use CreateSpace as your publisher this template is worked out for you when you upload the book contents. It can be a little difficult to find but it's there.
Here's what we started with:
- a picture of a log cabin in Texas
- A cave in Arkansas
- A woodland picture in Arkansas
- A stone cottage near where we lived
- A picture taken inside the old lead mine at Swinhope Moor, England
- a blue eye